Student Financial Services

Financial Aid FAQ


Find answers to the most frequently asked financial aid questions.

Click the + signs below to expand each section.
  • How is my eligibility for financial assistance determined?
    • When we receive your FAFSA information, a Student Financial Services counselor will review your application to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and institutional assistance. To determine your financial eligibility, your total expected family contribution as computed using the formula established by the Department of Education (DOE), is deducted from your educational expense budget. The difference is your “calculated need” for financial assistance. A portion of “calculated need” is covered by financial assistance (grants, loans, etc.). The remainder is considered the “expected family contribution” (EFC), but may exceed the amount calculated by the Department of Education.
  • What is the family contribution?
    • Based on the information you provided on the FAFSA, and calculated in accordance with federal guidelines, the “Expected Family Contribution” (EFC) is the minimum amount that parents and students are expected to contribute toward the cost of education. Should you have any questions regarding this complex calculation, please contact a Student Financial Services counselor or use the online Expected Family Contribution (EFC) Calculator.
  • What financing options are available to my family to meet our family responsibility?
    • In addition to family savings that you have earmarked for this educational investment, students and parents may apply for various loans or financing options as outlined in the following pages. Home equity loans or lines of credit may also provide an advantageous source of funding. Parents need to consult with their employers, unions, fraternal lodges and religious organizations to inquire if their sons or daughters are eligible for a private scholarship. Use our links to other useful sites for access to additional, reputable, free private scholarship search engines.
  • What do I need to do to receive a Federal Direct Student Loan?
    • All applicants must first file a FAFSA, and must submit all requested documentation before financial aid and student loan eligibility can be determined.Every student will need to complete an electronic Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) which is available at

      All first time Federal Loan borrowers will also need to complete entrance counseling at

  • How does a graduate student apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan?
    • Graduate PLUS applications are scheduled to be available in May at Please check back on our website for any updates.

      All applicants must complete a Direct graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). In addition all new borrowers must complete a graduate PLUS Entrance Counseling. You will need your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) to complete both at

  • How does a parent apply for a Federal Direct parent PLUS loan?
    • Parent PLUS loan applications are scheduled to be available in May at Please check back on our website for any updates.

      All applicants must complete a Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN). The parent will need their FSA ID to complete the MPN at

  • Where can I go to understand all the terms of my loans and my repayment responsibilities before and after I borrow?
  • How am I notified of my eligibility for financial assistance?
    • Upon your acceptance to Adelphi and receipt of the processed FAFSA information, the University will determine your eligibility to participate in the various financial assistance programs. A financial assistance award summary will be mailed to you approximately four–six weeks after you receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). Further instructions and requests for additional documentation (such as tax return transcripts) will be included with the award summary or at subsequent dates. Your financial assistance summary is also available online. If you are an enrolled student, you can log in to eCampus to access this information on the CLASS system.
  • Do I have to apply for financial assistance every year?
    • Yes. To be eligible for federal, state, and university need-based awards, you must reapply every year. Recipients of academic scholarships are also encouraged to file every year to maximize your eligibility for all sources of financial aid.
  • Should I wait until our tax returns are completed before I fill out my FAFSA?
    • No. You can complete the FAFSA based on reasonable estimates of your family’s income. You could use wage statements (W-2s), aggregate earning from last pay stub, 1099s or the prior year’s tax return if circumstances remain fairly constant. Once the current tax returns have been filed, you must update your FAFSA with the correct income information by going to and make the appropriate corrections.
  • What if my financial assistance package does not cover all of my need?
    • You and your parents may wish to consider the various loan and/or other financing options outlined in this section.
  • Will my Financial Aid also cover all of my living expenses while I am enrolled?
    • The annual academic budget includes an allowance for living expenses that is meant to supplement other sources of income or savings.
  • What do I do if my family’s financial circumstances change after I receive my financial aid award?
    • We understand the needs of families when a parent’s employment status has changed or when a family may not be receiving the same benefits as they did in the prior year. You should contact our office to determine if you qualify for an adjustment to your original application for financial aid. This process requires families to submit in writing a specific explanation of their situation and provide documentation of the reduction to their income.
  • Will I get the same financial aid award in future years?
    • If your family circumstances remain relatively constant while at Adelphi, and as long as you file your FAFSA by our preferred filing deadline (February 15), you can expect that your financial aid should be approximately the same amount. However, your Stafford loan limits will change depending on your grade level and your dependency status.
  • What are the academic requirements to receive federal and state financial aid?
    • Federal regulations require that students meet specific standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP), to be eligible to receive federal financial assistance. The assessment of satisfactory academic progress is made once a year for federal aid eligibility.

      » View chart detailing minimum expected standards for SAP (PDF)

  • What is the federal verification process?
    • The federal verification process is a system used by the federal government to support and document the information provided on the FAFSA. If you are selected for verification, you will be asked to complete and submit a Verification Worksheet and all W-2 forms received for the tax year. In addition, you may be asked to submit a copy of your and/or your parents’ federal tax return transcript if you/your parents have not used the IRS Data Retrieval tool. You may be asked to supply further information to substantiate the information you entered on your FAFSA. Your financial assistance plan may be subject to adjustment at the conclusion of the verification process.

      » View verification worksheets.

  • How do I request an IRS Tax Return Transcript?
  • Whose income do I use if my parents are divorced or separated?
    • You are required to report the income of the parent you lived with for the majority of the time over the last 12 months (custodial parent). Child support from the other parent, together with the income and assets of the parent with whom you live, will determine your financial need. If your custodial parent is remarried, your step-parents’ income and assets must also be reported.
  • Do I have to work if I am awarded work-study as part of my financial aid package?
    • No. Federal Work-Study is an opportunity for you to earn money to pay for ongoing expenses throughout the year and also to gain work experience. You may choose not to accept the Federal Work-Study offer, especially if you already have a part-time job.
  • What is the educational expense budget?
    • Every year the University compiles an educational expense budget for students based on the student’s housing status and level of enrollment. The following chart outlines the components of the various full-time budgets for the 2014-2015 academic year. Students enrolled for fewer than 12 credits per semester will have budgets based on lower tuition costs.

      2014-2015 Estimated Undergraduate Student Budget

      Direct Costs Resident Commuter Off-Campus
      Tuition and Fees  $32,340  $32,340 $32,340
      Books and Supplies  $1,400  $1,400 $1,400
      Room and Board  $12,900  –
      Sub Total Direct Costs  $46,640  $33,740 $33,740
      Indirect Costs Resident Commuter Off-Campus
      Room and Board  –  $1,600 $8,670
      Transportation (Estimated)  $1,380  $3,900 $3,900
      Personal (Estimated) $1,200 $1,800 $2,340
      Sub Total Indirect Costs $2,580 $7,300 $14,910
      Total Cost of Attendance* $49,220 $41,040 $48,650

      *Total includes direct educational costs and indirect costs based on full-time attendance. These costs are subject to change.

  • What may cause revisions to my aid offer?
    • Educational budgets are developed based on several factors, such as level of enrollment (full-time, half-time, etc.) and type of housing (such as on-campus or with parents). Changes in these factors may require a change in financial aid awards. In addition, the receipt of additional sources of aid, such as outside scholarships or employer tuition benefits, may also require a change in your financial aid package. All changes in packaging will result in the receipt of a revised financial aid award summary.
  • How does my course selection affect my financial aid?
    • In general, financial aid can only be used to help pay for coursework that is used to meet degree requirements (this includes major, electives and general education requirements). Students should always consult with the Office of Student Financial Services about possible financial ramifications due to academic actions such as add/drops, withdrawals and other enrollment status considerations. 

      For example, students take classes that are not applicable to their degree in order to maintain a full-time enrollment status.  A financial aid counselor can advise whether in certain cases it may actually cost less to enroll for fewer than 12 credits.

      Since financial aid rules can be complex and can vary by the particular type(s) of financial aid it is the student’s responsibility to be aware of this information.

  • What should I do if I expect to enroll for few fewer credits than what my Award Letter indicates?
    • You should contact the Office of Student Financial Services to be repackaged. Discrepancies in enrollment may delay loan proceeds from being applied to your account and, due to strict federal regulations, may necessitate the return of funds to the lender.
  • Will I be sent a loan application if my financial plan summary includes a Federal Parent (PLUS) Loan?
    • Eligibility for the PLUS loan is determined by completing the Direct Loan Parent PLUS application, which is available at
  • What should I do if my parent(s) apply and are denied the Federal Parent (PLUS) Loan?
    • If we receive notification from the federal government that your application for a parent PLUS has been denied, you will be awarded the maximum unsubsidized eligibility for which you are eligible.
  • What will happen to my awards if I am selected for the federal verification process?
    • If you are selected for verification, you will receive a letter detailing the documentation required to complete the process. If you have made a reporting error in income and assets, your awards may either increase or decrease when verification is completed. Continuing students who have been previous financial aid filers will be sent requests for verification documents prior to the packaging process. Until verification is completed, federal awards will not be credited to the student’s account.
  • Is there a minimum grade-point average I must maintain for my Adelphi University (AU) Grant, Athletic Grant, Recognition, Residential, Alumni and certain endowed/restricted awards? What about my scholarship?
    • For renewal of these awards, you must maintain full-time status and a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade-point average. Eligibility is reviewed at the end of each semester. The Office of University Admissions will send specific renewal criteria for your scholarship(s) to you with your original scholarship letter.
  • What should I do if I advance a class status in the spring semester?
    • If your loan eligibility increases mid-year due to a change in class status (i.e., Freshman to Sophomore, Sophomore to Junior, etc.) you must contact us if you wish to be repackaged for additional loan funds. You will receive a letter indicating the amount posted to your account and your option to cancel the loan.
  • Are study-abroad distance learning programs eligible for financial aid?
    • No. Adelphi students who remain in the U.S. and take a portion of their program via online courses offered by a foreign institution would not be eligible for financial aid for those online courses without a fully executed consortium agreement.
  • Does the University have a Drug Violation Penalty Policy?
    • A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for federal student aid funds. The student self-certifies in applying for aid that he is eligible; you’re not required to confirm this unless you have conflicting information.

      Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV aid—they do not count if the offense was not during such a period. Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when she was a juvenile, unless she was tried as an adult.

      The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for FSA funds, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offenses. (A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.)

      Period of Ineligibility for FSA funds

      Number of Offenses Possession of Illegal Drugs Sale of Illegal Drugs
      1st offense 1 year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction
      2nd offense 2 years from date of conviction Indefinite period
      3+ offenses Indefinite period Indefinite period

      If the student was convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs, and the periods of ineligibility are different, the student will be ineligible for the longer period.

  • How does a student regain eligibility for federal student aid funds following a drug violation?
    • A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will make him ineligible again.

      Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it only after successfully completing a rehabilitation program as described below or if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to certify to you that she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program; as with the conviction question on the FAFSA, you are not required to confirm the reported information unless you have conflicting information.

      When a student regains eligibility during the award year, schools may award Pell, and Campus-based aid for the current payment period and Federal Direct Student Loans for the period of enrollment.

      Standards for a qualified drug rehabilitation program

      A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and must satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

      -Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state or local government program.

      -Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurance company.

      -Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court.

      -Be administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic or medical doctor.

  • Does Adelphi University require the College Scholarship Services (CSS) Profile?
    • No. Adelphi University only requires the FAFSA for financial aid consideration.
  • How do I obtain my IRS Tuition Statement form 1098-T?
    • See details at our 1098-T info page.
  • When is my tuition payment due?
    • Total tuition charges, less confirmed financial assistance, are payable in full to the University on the following dates: August 1 for the fall semester, January 6 for the spring semester. For alternative financing options, please see Payment Plans.

Important Phone Numbers

Tuition payment plan 800.635.0120
Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) 800.433.3243
New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) 888.NYS.HESC
Pell/duplicate SAR 800.4.FED.AID
TAP inquiries 888.NYS.HESC

Important School Codes

Title IV (FAFSA code) 002666
New York State TAP code (undergraduate) 0010

For further information, please contact:

Office of Student Financial Services
Levermore Hall, Lower Level
p – 516.877.3080
p – ext. 2240 (on campus only)
f – 516.877.3380
e –

» View office hours

The information contained on this site is subject to change without notice.
Financial Aid Guide
Financing your education requires careful advance planning and we are here to help.
Read the Guide
Parent Information
Understand the steps needed for your student’s financial aid.
Click here to find out more
Payment Plans
Pay in full, use the two payment plan or pay in monthly installments.
View options for paying your bill