Student Financial Services


Veteran and Active Duty Military Student Aid Information

Adelphi University is ranked in the top 20 percent of colleges that offer exceptional benefits and resources for veterans and active duty military.

Eligibility for Aid Benefits

  • Not all veterans receive the same benefits.
  • The Veteran’s Administration (VA) determines the type, amount and length of benefits you will receive. The percentage of benefits received is determined based on your length of service. The maximum length of benefits is 36 months (essentially four full-time years).
  • VA benefits are calculated after all other awards (except the Tuition Assistance Program) have been applied to the student’s account.
  • The majority of veterans currently enrolled are covered under Chapter 33. If you are determined by the VA to qualify for Chapter 33/Post 9-11 benefits you could receive up to 100 percent of the annual maximum benefit (not 100 percent of tuition and fees) based on the charges for the number of credits for which you have registered each semester.

Yellow Ribbon Benefits

  • The Veteran’s Administration will determine who is eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program. To be eligible you must have earned benefits at 100 percent of the annual maximum.
  • The Yellow Ribbon designation does not guarantee that you will receive the extra funding. Eligibility is calculated by subtracting the basic Post-9/11 award and all other grants and/or scholarships (except the federal Pell grant). If a balance remains, students will receive the Yellow Ribbon award up to a maximum of $2,500 from the VA matched by a maximum of $2,500 from Adelphi University.
  • The combination of Post-9/11 benefits, grants and scholarships plus Yellow Ribbon cannot exceed the total cost of tuition and required fees.

Rules and Responsibilities

  • Benefits are applicable to the cost of tuition, required university fees and applicable course fees.
  • Not all veteran’s benefits are paid directly to the school. If you receive payment for tuition and fees it is your responsibility to make sure the school is paid.
  • If your tuition and fees are not fully covered by scholarships, grants and VA benefits, you are responsible for paying the difference. You may receive refunds of Pell (and loans) if the combined total in Pell, loans, scholarships, VA Benefits, and grant monies exceed the total tuition and fees for the semester.
  • All changes in enrollment will be reported to the VA by the Office of the University Registrar. This may result in a change in the amount of the VA benefits.
  • If there is an overpayment by the VA, Adelphi University must wait to return that overpayment until we receive a Debt Management Letter from the VA. If the letter is not received within 9 months, the credit will be refunded to you. The VA may then seek repayment from you. If you drop or withdraw after the VA has made payment, the VA allows Adelphi University to keep the payment and will seek the return of unearned funds from you.

Tip Sheet for Military and Veterans

Download the Tip Sheet for Military and Veterans from the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA).

» Financial Aid Tips (PDF)

Have Specific Questions? 

Jamie Pober
Director of Advising and Student Services
p – 516.877.3414
e –

Dyane L. Hill Boone
p – 516.877.3316
e –

The information contained on this site is subject to change without notice.
Apply Now
Request Information